Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Community of the Weeds and the flowers

Weeding the garden is the most difficult in the dry soil.  I avoid the weeding when the soil is dry.  When I do weed in the garden under dry conditions I always take my shovel.  I work hard and get very little work done.   That is what fear does.  It invites me to carry a shovel along and dig.  Fear is extra hard work.  
I work a messy flower garden.  It is interesting how many friends see the flowers.  “Oh, how beautiful!” And. “Wow, what kind of flower is that large red one.”  Again and again I hear, “I only see the flowers.” 
I see the weeds because I have to dig them up to not let them over power the flowers.  Fear is the worry of being out of control.  The harder we fight what is feared, the more tangled in the fear we become. 
What am I afraid of?  What is it that I am fighting? 
Weeds are only weeds when we don’t want them in our garden.  I had just visited a friend in town and saw a large weed in her garden.  “What is this?” I asked.   I cannot remember the flower she named.  It looks like a dandelion on a very long fuzzy stem.  It is a wildflower.   I was amused.  The long stemmed dandelion had been purchased at a greenhouse and was planted in her garden.    I would be yanking that right out of my flower garden.  The invasive plants grow in fields alongside of our home.   
 Where are the places where I see weeds but in reality they are flowers?


I love when it rains!  After the rain the flowers are bright!  This is the best time to weed!  I do not need a shovel.   The soil is loose and I just pull them up root and all.
Jesus is the master gardener. We work to plant the seeds and turn the soil.  Only God can make the seeds sprout and grow.   I am the garden of weeds and flowers growing together.  The Lord chooses to grow them together in the community of weeds and flowers.   




Dear Jesus,

You have invited me into your garden.  Keep me still in your presence watching and waiting as you grow me into your Community of Grace.


I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment