Tuesday, October 22, 2013

If I twirled for three days would the wrinkles come out?

 I walked down into the basement of our home in Holland, Michigan.  I took the lamp without a shade and add an extension cord that would reach inside the back storage room.  I closed the door with the lamp balancing on a pile of clothes and looked in a box of my mom’s old things. Crumble and stuffed in the bottom of  clothes my mom never wore, was her wedding dress.  It was yellowing, wrinkled and smelled musty.  I remember I pushed everything aside and made room on the cement floor so I could twirl.  The dress was slightly oversize and that suited me just fine.  I thought if I twirled fast enough long enough maybe all the wrinkles would disappear. I never dreamed about my wedding day or what it would be like.  I only wanted to wear the dress and go to a party.
 
Jesus went to a party for three days in Cana in Galilee.  A wedding celebration with His mother and all the disciples.  Three days at a party!  Three days of eating and talking with friends.  Three days of dancing and celebrating.  No wonder they ran out of wine, three days!
If I twirled for three days would the wrinkles come out?
That reminds me three days….
He would destroy the temple, and He would raise it again in three days – John 2:19
Jesus died and lay in the tomb for 3 days
Then they ran out of wine and Jesus’ mother asked Jesus to help.  Jesus asked, why involve me?  Then said that His hour has not yet come.  Jesus helped.  He asked the servants to fill the ceremonial stone jars (which held over 20 gallons) with water. Ceremonial Jars the Jews used to cleanse themselves.
That reminds me of when Pilot washed his hands to clean himself of the responsibility of Jesus’ crucifixion. When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. “I am innocent of this man’s blood,” he said. “It is your responsibility!”
Matthew 27:24.
Not an uproar in Cana but a party with 6 water jars  that Jesus turned into wine. Turning Water into Wine. Not just any wine the wine was the best ever, a new wine that pleased the bridegroom.
This reminds me of Jesus in the room with the disciples sharing their last meal together and drinking the wine.
This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.  Matthew 26:28. Forgiveness with blood.  Forgiveness that didn't require washing in ceremonial stone jars.  Forgiveness that didn't involve trying to get the wrinkles out.
That reminds me of trying to make myself look new like twirling to get the  wrinkles out to make the dress look new. So I wonder…How am I trying to make myself like new?
I ask Jesus to forgive me over and over for trying, I will never succeed. because it is God who makes all things new and He has  forgiven me.  I have accept my invitation to a party with Jesus with the best wine you have ever tasted.  I am His bride.
  Let us rejoice and exult
and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
and his Bride has made herself ready;
  it was granted her to clothe herself
with fine linen, bright and pure”—
for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.
And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.  Revelation 19:7–9
A few years back I found the wedding dress stuffed in a box at mom and dad’s house.  I took it home and washed and hung it, wrinkle free to remind me to be ready for the marriage supper of the Lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment